Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name resolution failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe935

Technical User
Apr 3, 2001
US
IE 6 will not browse to any sites , get dnserror.htm
Outlook will not retrieve any mail Can't connect to server.
Ping by IP will work.
Ping by will not.

New copy of winsock retrieved using SFC.
all USB entries in device manager deleted and recreated on reboot.
Modem entry in Network adaptors removed, Reboot and reinstalled
All TCP/IP entries have been deleted and recreated.
winipcfg shows all entries to be correct including DNS addresses.
only difference i can see is Node type is "Hybrid" and not "broadcast",
but I have not found any place where that can be changed.
There is no hosts or lmhosts file in windows only the .sam files.
There is no win.com file in boot folder
Scf runs no errors
rebuild ie runs to completion.

Aside from reinstalling windows 98 is there anything i have missed?

What type of connection, dial up? Have you manually entered DNS servers in the properties of your dial up connection? How about in the properties of your TCP/IP bound to your adapter?

Any firewall blocking access on your system? If so, try uninstalling it...

As a last resort, here's a document I wrote, some of which you may have already tried...

1. Try removing ALL of the protocols in the network dialog box, click OK to exit, but do not restart. Then, go back in and add the protocols again. If you are asked to keep the existing files, click YES. Reboot.

2. If this does not work, try manually extracting the winsock files. In Windows 95, you should find the following:
winsock.dll c:\windows 42kb
wsock32.dll c:\windows\system 65kb
Regardless if the size is correct, extract new ones. If you find more than one instance of each file, rename them to *.org, don't delete them, as other applications may need them.
Since the wsock32.dll file is shared by Windows, you will have to boot to DOS.
The command syntax is the following:

extract /a /y <path to the FIRST cab file> <filename> <location you want to save to>

For us, this is what we will normally type
extract /a /y c:\org\win95\win95_02.cab winsock.dll c:\windows
extract /a /y c:\org\win95\win95_02.cab wsock32.dll c:\windows\system

Note that win95_02.cab is not always the first file, it may actually be win95_03.cab
This extraction method is slow, so go take a bathroom break.
Reboot and try again.

3. If the issue still continues, lets remove the IP stack. Remove TCP/IP from the network dialog box, no need to reboot. Search your c: for *.386. There should be 5 or so files to rename.
I will list what they should be, but check your pc for files with a 386 extension in c:\windows\ws2bakup. Rename whatever 386 files are in that directory, and in the c:\windows\system directory. If you don't have c:\windows\ws2bakup, rename the following files in c:\windows\system to *.org:
vtdi.386, vtcp.386, vip.386, vdhcp.386, vnbt.386. Now, go ahead and install the TCP/IP protocol, and configure it. Keep existing files if it prompts you. Reboot and try again.

4. Still having problems? Try going to the Windows Setup tab of Add/Remove Programs.
Uncheck Communications, and click OK back out to the desktop. If at any point you are asked to keep existing files, choose NO. Go back in and recheck communications, and click OK to the desktop. Again, if you are prompted to keep existing files, choose NO. Reboot your machine.
Your communications stack has now been reverted to its original state. Try to get web pages.
If you can BACKUP THE REGISTRY RIGHT NOW! Once that is done, install the Winsock 2 update, or their communications will suck down the road. If this doesn't work, grab lunch and break out the Tequila, you are looking at a possible reload of Windows.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Only computer on network? If not, than does other computers get name resolution with same DNS settings?

Despite having the right setting, does IPCONFIG/WINIPCFG return the right subnet? Do you get dynamic or static IP? If Dynamic try entering a static address and subnet.

Thanks to the both of you for your input. The customer has decided to take the computer else where. So I'm out of it.

Matt I think i had done most if not all of what you had written. Except for step 3

Hk, it was the only PC but with another PC in its place all worked perfectly.

It was a cable set up.

I bet where ever he brings it they will just reload 98 and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back