Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name adds to AD but no Exchange Mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbAndEdnaWeinstein

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hi,

I've added a new user to Active Directory, and I specified that a mailbox should be added for that user.

After a few minutes, the mailbox was still not visible from Exchange System Manager, so I went to AD manager, manually deleted the user's mailbox (AD indicated that the user DID have a mailbox, as it gave me the option to delete it or move it.)

I've read that the mailbox may not be visible until mail is sent to it, so I tried both sending mail to it and logging on as the new user, then creating an MS Outlook account. The user name can log on to Windows, but when I try to add the e-mail account, it says that the user name cannot be resolved.

Also, I checked my licensing to be sure that wasn't the issue. I should have plenty of extra licenses...

Any ideas or tips for troubleshooting would be helpful! Thanks!

Herbie

Well, you say you deleted the mailbox, then tried to connect to it. If you deleted it, obviously you won't be able to connect to it.

What you should do is create the user, create the mailbox at the same time, allow it to propogate, then connect the client to the server. I usually give it 15-30 minutes to propogate vs. forcing it, just because I don't want people to know I can do things right away. ;-)

Licensing isn't an issue as the mailbox will be created regardless, you'll just get warnings in your license manager if you don't tell it you've bought enough.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Lander, Sorry for the lackj of clarity:

I only attempted deleting and recreating the mailbox after I tried connecting to it and sending email to it.

Thanks Again,
Herbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back