Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAM II maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmics

Technical User
Feb 29, 2012
US
I have a NAM II running 4.1, and have the following questions:

1) The board is an IBM board, but I haven't found anything about it using the IBM FRU number. Does anyone know anything about those boards, specifically a) what the model is, b) whether there is a BIOS flash update.

2) It is currently running OS/2 Version 3. There are a number of updates from IBM on that, including fixpaks and adding networking support. Is there a known issue with updating OS/2 on these boxes ?

3) I have installed a 3Com 3C509B network card in the box, but I cannot get the drivers installed for it. Attempting to install with "add device" gives me the error message "a profile control file could not be found". I have another NAM which has a working NIC, and I would like that here, too. The usual facility for setting up network access in OS/2 is not there in the OS, and it seems that networking support needs to be added in OS/2 in order for that to happen. Is there a documented procedure for doing that ?

4) I would like to install the updates using a CD ROM, which is much faster. There exist power and IDE connectors inside the box, but the space is pretty cramped and the CD couldn't be accessed from outside the box without some very creative surgery. I am thinking to install an Adaptec 1542 SCSI card and attach a SCSI CD drive with the box open in order to get the job done. Are there known issues with that ? I imagine that I could also install an IDE controller and hang an IDE CD drive off of that. Does that need special driver install procedures ?

TIA for any answers.

There is a lot to answer here but here is some for now...

1) The board is an IBM board, but I haven't found anything about it using the IBM FRU number. Does anyone know anything about those boards, specifically a) what the model is, b) whether there is a BIOS flash update.
No need to update BIOS, no issues. IBM name for board is "riddler"

2) It is currently running OS/2 Version 3. There are a number of updates from IBM on that, including fixpaks and adding networking support. Is there a known issue with updating OS/2 on these boxes ?
No need to update, no issues with OS as far as the application goes which is voice mail.

3) I have installed a 3Com 3C509B network card in the box, but I cannot get the drivers installed for it. Attempting to install with "add device" gives me the error message "a profile control file could not be found". I have another NAM which has a working NIC, and I would like that here, too. The usual facility for setting up network access in OS/2 is not there in the OS, and it seems that networking support needs to be added in OS/2 in order for that to happen. Is there a documented procedure for doing that?

There is a guide but I cant find it, exsmogger or others might be able to post a link.

You may also need the NVM keycode installed to use the GUI software, check F983, login press 44 and view installed features.

5.4 Configuring the NIC Under OS/2

Configure the NAM for "Headed" (keyboard and monitor) mode as per maintenance manual (see reference in Section 3.1 item 7). In the NAM II to activate the video card, dip switch #8 must be set to OFF on the Single Board Computer (SBC) card.
Reboot NAM and wait until OS/2 Presentation Manager screen appears.
Click on the OS/2 Window icon from the OS/2 LaunchPad.
From the OS/2 Prompt type "MPTS" and press <<ENTER>>.
At the MPTS menu, click on "CONFIGURE".
Select "LAN Adapters and Protocols" and click "CONFIGURE".
Remove all existing devices and protocols.
Insert the diskette that came with your network card into drive A:
From the "Adapter and Protocol Configuration" screen, Click on the "OTHER ADAPTERS" button.
. Enter the full path of the OS/2 Drivers for this NIC (see the list in Section 5.1). If you do not know the full path of the network drivers, consult the driver documentation or close the MPTS program and locate the driver directory on the diskette and restart MPTS.
. Once the system has copied the drivers to the hard disk drive, located the new driver entry from the Network Adapters list, select it with the mouse and press the "ADD" button.
. Next, from the "PROTOCOLS" window, select any protocols you wish to have bound to this adapter and click on the "ADD" button. The only protocol required for NVM 3.0 is IBM TCP/IP.
. Once all the protocols have been added to the adapter, click on the "OK" button to configure.
. Click on the "CLOSE", then "EXIT" buttons to exit MPTS.
. Ensure the "UPDATE CONFIG.SYS" button is checked, and click the "EXIT" button to finish.
5.5 Configuring TCP/IP for NIC

Once you have successfully configured the NIC, to configure the TCP/IP, type TCPCFG from the OS/2 Prompt.
At the main TCP/IP Configuration Screen, select the network adapter number you have just configured in MPTS. If you added an adapter as #1 (Numbering starts at 0, so the second card would be #1) then select LAN Interface #(card number) and ensure the Enable Interface button is selected.
Enter all the information required in the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Routing and HostNames (fully-qualified domain name) fields. . Enter the name of the NAM and its IP address in the Host Name Configuration, as well as entries for other remote NAMs not defined in any Domain Name Server (if any exist). Once complete, close the TCP/IP configuration program and ensure you select to SAVE the changes if necessary. Verify that Ultimail does not autostart.
Once the system is configured, attach the appropriate network cable to card and reboot the NAM.
To test the TCP/IP connectivity, make a note of the TCP/IP address for the NAM you have just configured, and from a remote station which is configured with TCP/IP run a PING program and enter this IP address. If there is a response from the NAM, then the configuration is valid. On the NAM, open an OS/2 window and Ping the NAMÉs own fully-qualified domain name Í it should respond with its IP address. Any other similarly-configured NAMÉs on the network may be Pinged from this NAM, using their own fully qualified domain name.
5.6 Finishing Up

If there are no errors reported while booting the NAM and if TCP/IP is installed and Pinging it is successful, the NAM may be reconfigured to "Headless" mode, as required at the site, as per maintenance manual (see reference in Section 3.1 item 7). In the NAM II, the dip switch #8 on the SBC must be set back to ON. If the NAM was already operating in "Headed" mode, then no further operations are necessary.

To configure the TCP/IP, type
TCPCFG from the OS/2 Prompt.
2) At the main TCP/IP Configuration Screen, select the network adapter number you
have just configured in MPTS. If you added an adapter as #1 (Numbering starts at 0,
so the second card would be #1) then select LAN Interface #(card number) and
ensure the Enable Interface button is selected.
3) Enter all the information required in the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Routing and
HostNames (fully-qualified domain name) fields. . Enter the name of the NAM and its
IP address in the Host Name Configuration, as well as entries for other remote NAMs
not defined in any Domain Name Server (if any exist). Once complete, close the
TCP/IP configuration program and ensure you select to SAVE the changes if
necessary. Verify that Ultimail does not autostart.
4) Once the system is configured, attach the appropriate network cable to card and
reboot the NAM.
5) To test the TCP/IP connectivity, make a note of the TCP/IP address for the NAM you
have just configured, and from a remote station which is configured with TCP/IP run a
PING program and enter this IP address. If there is a response from the NAM, then
the configuration is valid. On the NAM, open an OS/2 window and Ping the NAM’s
own fully-qualified domain name – it should respond with its IP address. Any other
similarly-configured NAM’s on the network may be Pinged from this NAM, using their
own fully qualified domain name.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

First of all, I want to thank you for the the response. You gave me a lot of details that I haven't been able to dig up myself.

Here is what I am thinking about each of the items:

1) BIOS: I understand that there are no issues with the vm associated with the BIOS. What I wanted to know is whether there is a known update. I ran across a posting elsewhere that mentioned one, and if I can find it again, I will quote it. I haven't heard from that poster as of yet.

2) OS/2: While I understand that the installed OS level doesn't have known issues with VM, installing a NIC depends on features which appear to relate directly to the OS level installed, as I will describe in a moment.

3) 3Com NIC: I'm not sure if I missed something, because it seems like you first said that you don't have a guide, then posted what appears to be exactly that; a guide for installing a NIC. Is there something more ?

Working from the text you did post, the response to issuing the "MPTS" command from an OS/2 prompt is "not recognized as an internal or external command", which is to say that it is not built into the installed command interpreter and not in the OS as a separate executable, either. The issue is not with the path statement, either, since I did search through the whole disk for such a file.

What I have seen leads me to believe that there were several releases of OS/2 in version 3. Version 4 was released as "Warp Connect", with networking built in, but version 3 required a series of updates to make that functionality and command available.

My NAM is definitely configured as "headed", since attaching a monitor shows me the OS/2 desktop.

So now the question remains whether I need to update OS/2, or whether there is something else that I should be doing.

If there is, in fact, a separate guide, please let me know, and I will ask exsmogger and / or try to track it down myself.

Obviously, until the OS sees the NIC, nothing else can happen.

All further replies are certainly appreciated.

Those are form ITAS Tips.

Sure there may have been release/patches but it did no concern the NAM that I have experienced.
Never had to touch BIOS or OS as far as any updates.
Maybe post on an IBM forum if you really think your problem is OS related.

I am curious as you did not state the actual exact procedure you used to install the card....slot,IRQ, steps etc etc. as this might help with people here troubleshooting with your issue.

"the response to issuing the "MPTS" command from an OS/2 prompt is "not recognized as an internal or external command"
What MTPS command? do you mean issuing the "Configure" command.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I am curious as you did not state the actual exact procedure you used to install the card....slot,IRQ, steps etc etc. as this might help with people here troubleshooting with your issue."

Counting from the right side, where the floppy is attached to the inside wall of the cabinet, the first slot has a modem, and I installed the 3Com NIC in the second. There is an empty ISA slot, and then 3 ISA slots with telephony boards (Dialogic), followed by a VESA slot which has a non-VESA video card, and finally a slot which looks like an ISA, but is too short for that.

I did not see any options in the BIOS to set an IRQ. I was thinking that a newer BIOS might provide that option.

"the response to issuing the "MPTS" command from an OS/2 prompt is "not recognized as an internal or external command"
What MTPS command? do you mean issuing the "Configure" command.

when I type 'MPTS' at the OS/2 command prompt, as per the directions you posted, I get the response "not recognized as an internal or external command". That means that the command is not built into the command interpreter, (COMMAND.COM in DOS), as opposed to commands like 'DIR' or 'CD'. You won't find a file named 'DIR.COM' which produces a directory listing. The command 'DIR' is built into COMMAND.COM, so that when you type it at a command prompt, that command is looked up in the list of built-in commands within COMMAND.COM and run. If a command is not found built-in (Internal), then the chain of directories in the PATH statement is searched for an executable with the same name as the command, e.g. "MPTS", which would make it an 'external' command. If it is not found there either, you get the error message I am quoting.

What that amounts to is that the version of OS/2 installed on my NAM does not have that command built-in, and does not have an executable by that name either. The reasonable conclusion is that OS/2 in this box needs to be updated in order to make the network support facility available. In my poking around on the web through OS/2 resources, that seems to be the case. OS/2 version 3 came in several flavors. OS/2 Connect has networking built-in, while the non-Connect version needs an update in order to support network connectivity.

If all NAM boxes are known to support networking, then I have to suspect that something else is wrong. If not all NAM boxes are known to provide that support, I am inclined to believe that this one needs an update.

It would come as something of a surprise to me if phone techs working on non-VoIP systems were required to do OS updates (as opposed to app updates), but I have been wrong at least once before in my life <g>.

Is there any other detail I can provide to help you help me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back