Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NALCACHE Causing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephnever

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
We use NALCACHE in our environment, but unfortunately it causes problems when it caches information about old application objects. Even though the old objects have been unscheduled, we see text logs that indicate they are still being run. We tested by removing any old NALCACHE information on a machine and the new application object ran fine.

What causes this and other than disabling NALCACHE, is there a way to avoid this problem?

What version of Novell Netware Client and server are you using? There are a few ways to get rid of the NALCACHE on boot with a utility as well as in the newer clients you can tell the system not to cache files localy and removed them on reboot.

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

Unfortunately just turning NALCACHE off is not an option. It is a corporate standard, I'm just one of the Admins that has to deal with app objects not loading.

Any ideas on how to force a "recache"?

So let me get a handle on this. When a user logs on you want the cache to clean itself when the computer is turned on correct? Or do you only want certain things taken out of cache?

For the first there is a file out there called NALCLEAR from Novell's site here:

Go here and download it to clear the NAL Cache on the system to refresh itself from the server.

The later I am not aware of a way to do it.

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

Go out to Novell's site and look up Zencleanup. It is a free download. This application will clean up a program that has been loaded on the computer with all it's assoicated files. This might clean up the problem you are having. When we have a application that isn't working right, many times using zencleanup then re-verifying the app does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back