Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

N3941 Skipped file - Markes as invalid - error on 11.5 SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaus

Technical User
Apr 18, 2007
CA
According to the release notes, this error was supposed to be resolved, but for me, it isn't.

We have some old AIT archive tapes that were made in 2003. They were backups of our on-line archive server, so the session type shows up as MS Network. I've tried to restore files from these sessions, and get this error on all the files (the directory folders ARE restored). The initial back-up would have have probably been done with ArcServe 2000, but there's a chance they were done with 6.5 Enterprise. I'm restoring to an alternate location - because the original server no longer exists.

These errors happened with 11.0 also. Since then I've started with a clean database. So these tapes were freshly merged into the current database. When the merge was done, tens of thousands of files show up as merged in the log. However, I'm also getting a W3884 "Unable to find media" and "unable to position media catalog file." for part of the merge. This causes thousands of files to be skipped. (This error was for directory paths that I wasn't trying to restore.)

I've tried various methods and settings to restore the files, and they all are failing.

That should be " Skipped file - Marked as Invalid"
(Sorry about the typo.)

Try a Restore By Backup Media. If that works then it is known to be a database problem.

Also try forcing a sequential merge by way of this registry setting.

Open regidt32.exe
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine
Open it to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\Base\Task
Highlight Task and select Edit Add Key from the menu bar.
Key Name: Merge
Class: <leave blank>
Highlight Merge and select Edit Add Value
Value Name: DonotUseCatalogMerge
Data Type: REG_DWORD
click OK
Data: 1 *// 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back