Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

n00b ? - How can I create a 'private' lan so I can create a 'dev' lan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

secher

Technical User
Dec 9, 2008
US
Hello all. This is the first time doing something like this, so please bear with me. I have a production network, on which I have no control, for the most part. I need to take the legacy server install which is a complete mess and mirror it in a 'devlopment/test' lan then eventually bring the new servers over into production one at a time while removing the old servers, eventually winding up with a functioning, well documnented, and secure LAN. There's more to it than that, but I'm trying to be somewhat brief.

I cannot simply set up a switch in the closet and do everything there, as frequently I work remotely. I need to have all of my new servers on their own 'private' lan so they cannot interfere with the functioning of the production servers, but I can still access them from my desktop/home/laptop for configuration. I have a 3Com Baseline 2924 SFP Plus switch available to assist in this.

I've been reading the docs that come with the switch, and checked on 3Com's site, but I do not seen anything even vaguely helpful where what I'm trying to do is concerned.

Can someone offer some suggestions, guidance or perhaps even an HOWTO?

Thanks very much.
Peace,
vtk

Sounds like you are going to be needing a couple of VLAN's followed by some handy access lists. Search the site and you will find alot of great information for 3com vlan configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back