Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mystery IP address perhaps DHCP server in router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsteeman

Programmer
Jul 17, 2002
DK
Hi all,

In my personal home network that is connected through a router, there is always a mysterious standard IP address with the same MAC address. Since the router has DHCP functionality I was speculating whether that could be the IP address of a DHCP server within the router.

Wouldn't a router with built in DHCP-server need a separate IP-address for the DHCP-functionality, since its own address is already used as internet gateway?

DELL4600 192.168.1.100
Rene 192.168.1.101 <--- mystery IP address
green-pc-alrum 192.168.1.102
router 192.168.1.1 (internet gateway)

Fedor Steeman
Geological Museum Copenhagen
Denmark

Hi,

Arp out the IP to the Mac and do a vendor code lookup... may give you a clue.

lee

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNP,CWNA,CCSA,Project+

Hey,

Look on the sitcher on the bottom of the router and see what the MAC is meant to be....

Hope this helps,

Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, but I already figured it out. It turned out it was my neighbour. He also has a wireless network and ours overlapped. His name is Troels and his son is called Rene. These were exactly the host names that once in a while turned up on my network. :)

I think it is a bit funny, really...

Fedor Steeman
Geological Museum Copenhagen
Denmark

Time to configure some security on the Wireless side don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back