Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mystery Drive Listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkbear

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
Hi,
My system thinks it has a Local Disk Q that is inaccessable by users or administrators - I can view its properties ( 0 used space,0 free space). Is this a W7 thing? Maybe the Shadow Image drive?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Depending the manufacturer, it could be a restore partition, they are usually hidden by default.

Win 7 uses a swap partition as well , but It usually has size and usage values as opposed to being 0.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Have a look in here and see if a "Q" is mentioned. Perhaps a USB or Camera or similar has grabbed "Q"?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Change or Delete System Drive Letter via Registry to Remove Conflict USB or FireWire Drive Letter

See if this program offers any help if it is a faulty listing of any USB drive.

USBDeview

Hi,
Thanks all,
The registry shows Q (and a V, which does not appear in Windows Explorer) drives as Dos devices ( as well as showing the more cryptic \\??\volume\.... identifiers)

[profile]

Hi,
could be, but the hardware panel of the drives shows the correct number of devices ( 4 card, 2 DVD, 1 System - Volume 0, and a driver for my external Iomega USB drive ( which apparently uses a Toshiba driver).

The card readers do not show in the drive listings in explorer unless there is a device in them and then they are identified as cards not a local disk.
Interestingly ( at least to me) is that when I connect a USB stick drive it shows as drive K - I have, until then, C:(system) D: E: (both DVDs),and J: - the Iomega.

[profile]

If after backing up the Registry Key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices you then deleted all the Values except those letters for your actual physical hard drives and CD/DVD, include in the deletion those starting with \??\Volume, so that you are only left with the hard drives and CD/DVD being listed in there.

Reboot and see if it makes any difference, if none, you can restore the backed up key.

but before you do the above, download the following file

Unzip and execute the ListUsbDrives_To_Notepad.cmd file...

It starts the ListUsbDrive.exe which is a console application and redirects its output into a temporary file and opens this in the Windows Notepad. Copy the information about drives Q: and post it here.

Source: Uwe Sieber (himself)over @ Vistaheads

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi,
Thanks all - I will be away from the system for a couple of days but will try the ideas when I return.

[profile]

Hi,
I did get a chance to run the USB drive listing from BigBadBen ( Thanks) and got this about Q:
ountPoint = Q:\
Volume Label = ---
Volume Size = not tested
Volume Serial = ---
Volume Name = \\?\Volume{37d5f702-092d-11e0-9e62-a4badbf17b41}\
Bus Type = unknown
Drive Type = fixed
Device Types = VirtualDrive
Volume DosDevName = \Device\SftVol

[profile]

Hi,
OK, a little dyslexic this morning:
Not BigBadBen but BadBigBen

[profile]

It is like a virus that gets transferred via USB drives - you don't need to have MSO2010C2R yourself - just contact with a USB drive that had been used to transfer documents from such a machine - like a Win 7 Starter netbook or an OEM Home Basic with the C2R.

The usb drive/sd-card has an autorun.inf file, Office.exe about 5MB, a hidden folder called virtual applications and a folder called TravelDocuments.

Avoid like the plague.

Thanks all...

I consider this solved...

( I am leaving the Q there since it has caused no issues in the year os so I have had Office 2010 installed and I was just curious..)

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back