Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious Noise, BCM 400 3.7 PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
If you are familiar with the noise that comes from a Feature timeout, I have a reception phone that hears that noise intermittant-ly on a BCM 400 3.7 with a PRI. There is no caller id and no call in the mailbox. All calls are answered by the autoattendant, there are no answer DNs or target lines assigned to this phone. The noise is the same as when a call hits a mailbox or a feature timeout.

How can I troubleshoot this? Any recommendations?

I am only guesiing Alarm notification maybe.
If the Time and Date is not displayed (instead Message For You) I would suggest to make sure Static Time is turned ON (F806) and see if the Alarm button shows up or any other info it might display.
If you know what time roughly the last couple noise were then check the alarms/events to see if one was generated.
Maybe Alarms is not sending the info and just the tone....which would be corruption maybe.
Change the Alarm set to another set to see if issue moves as a test for a while too.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

The alarm set was a problem and I changed it to NONE. But it was a different set not this one and that was months ago I took that away.

Would a reboot clear the trouble? I added a PRI about 6 weeks ago.

I program from time to time using the phone. Maybe once every 3 months or more. Is that a problem?

Just a follow up, witnessed it myself. There is a caller id coming into the reception phone, the phone doesn't ring, just that two tones. Customer picks up, no one there.

So it doesn't ring, it's as if the phone is forwarded to voicemail, but it isn't. other calls come through just fine.

2 Tones are Ascending I gather.

So where does the call go?

-Did you do test calls?
-Where does the caller end up?
-Are calls/Target Appear & Ring or come in via AA?
-Also check to see if other targets are assigned to that set, maybe redirect or forward is on for the set that belongs to that target line and also appears at recpetion.
-Maybe they do not leave a message, next time have them do F987 soon as they hear the tones to retrieve the call.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

no target lines or answer DNs assigned to this phone. only 4 phones have target lines. this phone is the operator phone. It does have a T24 with busy lamps of other phones. I can't replicate it.

As Curlycord has said.

Check your PRI lines..one of these lines may be set to ring only at the operator extn.
So when a call comes in , the phone rings and the AutoAttentant is answering at the same time.
This gives the phone a half beep alert because the AA has taken over the call.

So remove all ring only appearances that are assigned to the PRI from this phone.

I've had the same problem as Snowman50 and Curlycord have stated when trying to fix a very annoying problem on behalf of a customer who had previously had some configuration carried out to have their lines answered by Auto Attendant.

Although they set that part up correctly, they forgot to change the line assignments from "Appear & Ring" to "Appear Only"

Most of the phones were in one room and it was driving them crazy with the ringing.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I more thought
Probably wrong but Worth a shot in the dark

It also possible Line redirect has been activated.
Feature 84 to activate
Feature #84 to deactivate

it also makes a tone when a call comes in and is redirected from the Extension.
but I think from memory its only a single tone.

thanks for the input!!

I've managed to replicate the problem, it's DIDs that aren't assigned to a target line. They hit the general mailbox box and play that sound on the mailbox owner's phone which is the receptionist. Customer got a new PRI with several dozen DIDs with no use for them. Robocallers most likely dialing the numbers.

I suppose I could assign target lines and direct them to AA or any suggestions?

Try one or some of these:

Program the Received Digits for those DID's to Target Lines, if does not let you then maybe they are half programmed.

-Under Target Lines try changing If Busy:To Prime to If Busy:Busy Tone

-Under Target Lines try changing Prime Set to None

---

-Under Target Lines try changing Prime Set to an unused DN

-Program unused DN Forward No Answer to vmails DN, Create mailbox and record Alt Greeting with "This number is not in service"

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

i assigned all the DIDs to target lines, pointed them towards the AA and eliminated the problem. thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back