Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious nightly logoff/reboot - how to track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
Hi all - the VM I connect to running win7 has started logging off/rebooting overnight. I can't find any reason why and I've made a logoff script to log the time it happens and so far it's been 10.24pm and 10.10pm. I'm wondering if there's a way for a logoff script (or anything) to know if the system is currently logging off vs rebooting vs shutting down - but I can't think of anything to call/check that would know which operation is being applied? And of course I'd then need to find out why it's happening still (event log isn't helping me much)

Check the scheduled jobs. A server doesn't just shutdown every night unless someone told it too.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

This is win7 not a server, it's just a VM I use from a thin client. Pretty sure I checked scheduled tasks but I will try and remember to check them tomorrow. I was really wondering if anyone had anything I can add to my logoff script to get the status of the PC (logging off/restarting) etc. It never used to do this, only for the last few weeks.

What VM software are you using?

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I'll throw this out there even though it may sound ridiculous -- Is it possible you have a cleaning crew coming in that time of night unplugging something they shouldn't be in order to plug in their vacuum?

It's VMware hosting win7 VMs and citrix connections. But don't worry about it because I lost my job now -_- First time in 13y I'll have to look for one ...

Right now I'm not even looking as I need to recuperate and rebuild my mental wellbeing. Not that that will pay the mortgage. But if I was looking to replicate the job it'd be 2nd line support working with clients/servers/networks/citrix etc

Thanks mate but I've not updated it in 14y so that's on my to-do list to make a new one after pulling myself together and taking a break! But more than happy to send it somewhere later when I have one :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back