Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious Linux Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardawg

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
US
I am attempting to build a Snort box at my house. I will also be installing snortsnarf on the box for reporting. I am using RedHat 7.2.

The first step in this process is of course to build a Linux Web Server. During installation I keep it as close to a default web server as I can get. I allow Linux to automatically set up my partitions. I do not install a GUI!!!!! No mouse.

When the installation copies the image to the hard drive and begins running the setup the screen goes gray, and that is the last thing that ever happens.

I wondered if it might be a problem with The graphic mode of installation, so I tried it again in text mode. The only difference is that at the exact same point in the process instead of the screen turning gray it turns blue.

I am thinking it is most likely hardware related. The problem with that theory is that this had been an NT server at my house until I decided I would benefit more from a Snort box.

The machine is roughly:

AMD K6-2 500Mhz running at 450
Asus Motherboard
128 MB PC133
Couple of NIC's
20GB harddrive

I am kinda at a loss here since there is no error message to go on.

Hi,

During the install there are a number of 'virtual consoles' that tell more about whats going on. Try ctl-alt-F3 and ctl-alt-F4 at the time it halts to see what it says -->
It could just be a video problem so you could try passing 'linux vga=ask' to the boot prompt ...

boot: linux vga=ask

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back