Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL vs MsAccess for Small Biz Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

carps2

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2002
PT
Hello,

Our very small company (3 people) is planning
to develop an in house DB app for managing the
common business operations dealing with customers,
orders, inventory, etc.

Initially it will work on a single Windows PC.
However, in the future it might migrate to a
Client-Server approach.

The main goal is to find some plataform that:
- is stable, does not crash all the time;
- easy to use, not requiring deep coding and/or learning;
- allows not only the managm. of tables and queries,
but also of forms and reports (or something similar);
- provides a good and flexible interface to the user;
- low plataform cost (free or under $100).

From what I've seen it appears that MS Access
is the most recomendable plataform in such a
situation. However, I would like to know about
other alternatives, namely:
* MySQL + Some Easy2Use GUI Client

Does it make sense use MySQL in such a situation?

Do you know of any similar examples that I can
learn from?

Carlos
carpsmail@excite.com

Does it make sense use MySQL in such a situation? Yes. James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

I am in a similar situation right now (trying to decide whether to use Access or mysql for a small but robust and scalable app) and here is what I've discovered:

I love mysql (it's free, it's friendly and easy to use for someone who knows sql and a teenie bit of unix), but from a cursory search I haven't been able to find an easy-t-use gui to go with it.

I dislike Access (it's instability, it's data manipulation limitations, it's demeaning wizards) but it has a fairly good GUI that people who don't know how to program (or write sql) can use fairly easily.

Because of these two factors I think I may be creating the data storage in mysql, and using access to create the front end. To get info on how to do this, go to mysql.com and check out MyODBC. After setting up a mysql db with this driver, do an open file in Access and instead of choosing a .mdb, choose the OBDC file type. It will let you choose from the databases you've set up through the administrator ODBC (i.e. you should see the mysql db you set up)

Anyway, that's my two cents. If anyone else has found a great gui program to go along with mysql, please let me know!!!!

Setting up Apache + MySQL + phpMyAdmin on windows/linux is cheap and good solutions (becoz all free). :)

But you can develop a powerful application by simply using Access. ------------------
Freedom is a Right

Just my 2p's worth:
As a slightly biased Access developer, I would say Access every time. I have used mySQL on a web type application, but the lack of an easily programable GUI is a major drawback.
If you are planning to create a web app, then goats setup of mySQL & php is probably one of the best (& cheapest!) solutions around, but if you are after a system that is easy to learn, but immensly powerful, then Access is your man.
I have been using Access for 5 years now with few stability problems. Any problems I have had have been down to poor database design on my account, or a dodgy network. I have just finished an application that is to be used by 30 concurrent users and a data set of 100mb per month. In testing I logged 50 users on with no problems.
This application takes data from a load of different main frame sources & I have found ways to import all of them. Sometimes I have had to think "out of the box", but there is rarely something I can't do in Access.
I won't discount mySQL out of hand, just because I like Access, but IMHO Access is the way to go.

Ben ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.police.uk
----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back