Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mysql users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen0dorf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2008
GB
Hi

Recently changed isp and they insist that the initial mysql database, and all users are created using their CP.

However all user rights apart from the admin have to be set using phpmyadmin.

I uploaded phpmyadmin and it does connect ok but the privaleges option is starred/greyed out. The isp help file tells me I have to use the "grant" option in PHP myadmin to set user permissions.

I cannot see a user list or a grant option

can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Ian

You might need to log in as a higher level user, not one created for a specific database. If I remember correctly, I could log in as root (or admin) to view all the databases. From that superuser level, I could set privileges. It wasn't obvious through my hosting CP that there was this user, but it was there, and in my case the credentials matched my top level CP user's credentials. Does that make sense?

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

Hi

thanks for that my Hoster fasthosts creates databases on a shared server so they tell me that as the "creator" I am the admin user.

I've attached an image of the database phpmyadmin front end and can see no "user options" or way of listing users

any ideas ?

thanks

Ian

http://www.edwards-micros.co.uk/phpmya1.jpg
Code:
SQL query: 

SELECT *
FROM users.users
LIMIT 0 , 30

MySQL said: 
#1142 - SELECT command denied to user 'myuser'@'localhost' for table 'users'

Code:
SQL query:

USE users

MySQL said: 
#1044 - Access denied for user 'myuser'@'%' to database 'users'

For this to have worked, I'd need to be logged in as admin or root, instead of myuser. Once I log in as root or admin, I could
Code:
GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE on users.users to myuser
I'm not sure that is the correct syntax, but you can look that up on the mysql site. Once I ran the proper GRANT statement, I could log in as myuser and administer the other users. These issues are entirely MySQL related. You might find a better response in a MySQL forum.

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back