Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysql troubles on a redhat 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

axman505

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
US
My main problem is that I am unable to run the mysql_install_db file. Below is what I have tried:

I can start mysql by using the folowing option:

shell> BINDIR/safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables &
shell> BINDIR/mysql -u root mysql

However, when start mysql and try to perform anything, it errors our with the following:

ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Here is the entry for the Alpha.err file::

<< Alpha.err >>

021105 12:41:27 mysqld started
/usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
mysqld got signal 11;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt, improperly built, or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware. We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong and this may fail

key_buffer_size=16773120
record_buffer=131072
sort_buffer=524280
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=1
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 80379 K bytes of memory Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation

Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went terribly wrong... Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows: 0x808478e 0x8131730 0x814ab5d 0x8151a53 0x807e657 0x8081a81 0x8098326 0x808767a 0x8086b8d Stack trace seems successful - bottom reached Please read and follow instructions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do resolve it Trying to get some variables. Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
thd->query at 0x8254e88 = ls
exit
thd->thread_id=3

Successfully dumped variables, if you ran with --log, take a look at the details of what thread 3 did to cause the crash. In some cases of really bad corruption, the values shown above may be invalid

The manual page at contains information that should help you find out what is causing the crash 021105 13:36:17 mysqld ended

<<// Alpha.err >>

Here is the report genereted by mysqlbug
<< mysqlbug >>

SEND-PR: -*- send-pr -*-
SEND-PR: Lines starting with `SEND-PR' will be removed automatically, as
SEND-PR: will all comments (text enclosed in `<' and `>').
SEND-PR:
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: [50 character or so descriptive subject here (for reference)]

Description:
probalem running mysql_install_db
How-To-Repeat:
<code/input/activities to reproduce the problem (multiple lines)>
Fix:
<how to correct or work around the problem, if known (multiple lines)>

>Submitter-Id: <submitter ID>
>Originator: root
>Organization:
<organization of PR author (multiple lines)>
>MySQL support: [none | licence | email support | extended email support
]
>Synopsis: <synopsis of the problem (one line)>
>Severity: <[ non-critical | serious | critical ] (one line)>
>Priority: <[ low | medium | high ] (one line)>
>Category: mysql
>Class: <[ sw-bug | doc-bug | change-request | support ] (one
line)>
>Release: mysql-3.23.53 (Source distribution)

>Environment:
<machine, os, target, libraries (multiple lines)>
System: Linux Alpha 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 12:13:11 EDT 2002 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Architecture: i686

Some paths: /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/gmake /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc
GCC: Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --host=i386-redhat-\ linux --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit Thread model: posix gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7) Compilation info: CC='gcc' CFLAGS='-O3' CXX='gcc' CXXFLAGS='-O3
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti' LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Nov 3 14:28 /lib/libc.so.6
-> libc-2.2.93.so
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1235468 Sep 5 18:12
/lib/libc-2.2.93.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2233342 Sep 5 17:59 /usr/lib/libc.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 178 Sep 5 17:50 /usr/lib/libc.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Nov 3 15:59
/usr/lib/libc-client.a -> c-client.a
Configure command: ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static CFLAGS=-O3 'CXXFLAGS=-O3 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti' CXX=gcc

<<//mysqlbug>>

Is there any other way to get around this?

You could grab the source package for your distribution and rebuild it. On rpm-based boxen, it's something like
Code:
rpm --recompile <package>.src.rpm
If the current binary is linked against some other version of glibc, recompiling should fix it. However, if there's an updated version of glibc for you distro, you probably want to install it (usually fixes a security issue).

i always have trouble getting mysql installed. I had it working on my last system, but then the HDD boot rom decided to fry itself, so that was the end of that, and now im starting from scratch.

initially i got the tar.gz and compilied, shouldn;t this accomplish the same thing as recompiling the rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back