Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL slow over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlrichey

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
US
I am running max-4.0.1-alpha-max-nt with MyODBC version 3.51.04 and am experiencing some odd performance problems. I have a long process that makes multiple sequential calls to the database and have noticed that when I run the application locally on the server, performance is quite good. If I run the same application on another PC on the LAN (100 mb switched) the performance drops to a crawl. I assume that when the application is running on the server, that it is using a named pipe connection to the database and when running on a remote PC it is using TCP/IP to connect. I realize that TCP/IP is not as efficient as named pipes but the application is slower by a factor of 10. Are there any configuration parameters to optimize remote connections to the server?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back