Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MYSQL/PHP delete from two tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWire

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2005
US
Hi all, can someone help me with my query please? I have done some searching and can't seem to find an answer to my query problem. I need a query that will delete one vehicle(v_id) AND all service(s_id) records associated with the vehicle. The problem is that my existing query only works when there is one or more than one service record associated with the vehicle deleted...it will not work if there is one vehicle and no service records.

Here is my query:

DELETE vehicles, service FROM vehicles, service WHERE vehicles.v_id = ".$delete_vehicle." AND service.v_id = ".$delete_vehicle."

I am using PHP if that helps out with the solution.

I have two tables - the relationship is one vehicle(v_id) to none, one, or more than one service record(s_id):

service
------------
[s_id](index)
v_id
s_type
s_date
-----------
and
vehicles
------------
[v_id](index)
v_make
v_model

I hope I explained everything, but please post if you have questions - thanks in advance!

MikeWire

Is there more to the WHERE statement? If not, just do two separate DELETE statements.

$sql = 'DELETE FROM service WHERE service.v_id = ".$delete_vehicle."';
mysql_query($sql);
$sql = 'DELETE FROM vehicles WHERE vehicles.v_id = ".$delete_vehicle."';
mysql_query($sql);

Mark

Thanks Kozusnik -
There's not much more to that where statement, but the $delete_vehicle var is being put into an array (checkbox array) then looped through a while statement for (if) multiple deletes are selected.

I suppose that would work, but I was thinking there was a more efficient way to run the query, but I'm not too advanced with SQL :)

If there's a more efficient way I would like to know, but I am going to try out your suggestion - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back