Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL front end application and webpage compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendle666

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hello

I've been directed to this forum and I hope someone can help. I have a small genealogy website which uses Gossamer Thread's DBMan SQL front end. I create a table, tell it the columns I want, add in the data and it's there. It's not a massive database, about 150,000 records. It's all done via the web browser.

My master data is held in Excel spreadsheets which I then convert to CSV to import. This is because I get information from lots of sources to check before it goes in.

DBMan SQL also has html templates so the information can be displayed on my site when people search.

Gossamer Threads don't develop this product any more and so I'm looking for something new. Google's results seem to be quite old articles, so I'm assuming I'm not searching right, but I don't know what to look for!!

Basically I want people to be able to search for names, dates, places etc and the database to produce the answers. It's just a website, no mobile apps.

Can someone help me out?

thank you for helping

I doubt you'll find many pre-built templates for this, as generally website and database access is very specific for each project.

However, here are a few links that may help you in getting started with rebuilding your website with a more modern approach:

With that said, you may need to hire a developer if you don;t feel proficient enough in coding and website development on your own.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Hello

Thank you for the links. I'll check them out and see what's best for me.

thank you for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back