Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mylex DAC960 SCSI RAID controller PCI card

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTwig

Technical User
May 12, 2009
AU
I have a Mylex DAC960 SCSI RAID controller PCI card installed in
an IBM xSeries 330. I have an external 4mm DAT drive connected
and it seems to be working as it should.
Documentation says I should get the following prompts before Windows
starts to load;
Press alt-M to configure, and press alt-R to configure RAID.
I get the alt-M prompt and pressing alt-M gives only 3 options.
I don't get the alt-R prompt so I can't configure RAID.
It does tell me that it can't find a device connected to 2 of the ports.
I assume that is because it is configured that way but I can't get
into RAID setup to check.
Why don't I get the alt-R prompt?

Mylex was bought out by LSI. You may be able to find some legacy support articles there. It may be that you need to have a channel connected that has disks attached. If you open the box, you'll probably see two empty connectors on the Mylex. I doubt the Mylex is controlling any of the drives in the drive bay. IBM usually sets up the raid config with the IBM ServRaid disk. You can load that onto the System and see if that gets you what you want to see.

Thank you for your reply. You are right that LSI has taken over.
I finally located a DOS program that I can use to configure the card and I set up a RAID 0 with two external 9 Gig drives.
It appears that the DAC960 I have has a 9G per disk limit which is not much use these days. However it does support tape drives so may not be completly useless.

The issue with tape units on raid adapters is raid cards do not support many backup software parameters required for stability/performance.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back