Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My windows 9x/me install is not happening!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stranded

Technical User
Mar 29, 2003
IN
I put together a system with a PIII 866, Asus
CUV4x-E motherboard, Maxtor 30GB HD, 128MB PC133 ram.
When I powered it up everything seemed to
be working fine: boot up, POST, memory count,
but when I tried installing WinME or any
other version of the windows, the whole system
would freeze up displaying the following
protection fault in module SYSTEM.DRV at
0001:0280" ,just before I get the screen
with all the installation options. I checked
all the frequency multipliers and all the
jumpers, partitioned and formated the HD
over and over again, but it didn't help.

Please HELP!!!!!

Replace your RAM. That is a good indication of bad RAM. I could be wrong, but I think thats the problem.
Hope this helps.

You nailed it butchrecon. That is the address range windows loads it's main support drivers.

Stranded: Make sure you handle the SDRAM correctly. Lot's of techs don't use an ESD guard. It only takes 20 volts from static electricity to crack a circuit. Considering that when you feel a shock from static electricity it is 5,000 volts with no amprage behind it, there is a high chance of damaging a chip and not even knowing you were charged. Sliding your foot 1 foot on carpet generates a few thousand static volts in dry conditions.

Ground yourself to your case and replace that SDRAM.

I see this almost once a day in my store. Like everyone is saying, change the ram.

Yeah, its the ram. I have that same board and I tried 4 brands of ram before I found one that kept the system stable.

What kind of RAM should be used with this motherboard to resolve this problem. Win 98se will not install but I was able to load Win2K on my logical D: drive without any problems. Why? X-)

I've recently encounted the same problems. I, too, have an ASUS CUV4X-E motherboard and received the exact same error messages. I have a 256 SDRAM chip and it's brand new. Windows 98 won't begin its setup. I began thinking that maybe my Win98 is outdated and thought of going to Win2000. But since I found someone else with the same problem with the same motherboard, maybe it's the motherboard that's the culprit.

I only have 128MB RAM in my machine. I was able to resolve the problem by switching the PC133 stick with a PC100 stick I had in another machine. It is now working fine dual booting Win98SE and Win2K. Good luck!

On a side note the PC133 stick works fine in the swap machine.

~T :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back