Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My VFP 9.0 install notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbMark

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
I reinstalled my VFP 9.0 and went through the steps of updating it to SP2 and the latest Hotfix #3. I updated my help file to from Microsoft's web site ( but the links in it failed. That's when I discovered that the working and updated Help file is to be found at VFPx ( under the Creative Commons license. While I don't know why Microsoft still has a broken help file for download and fails to point to a working version, I decided to list what I did to set up my reinstall.
[ul]
[li]Install VFP 9.0[/li]
[li]Install Service Pack 2 dated 10/15/2007[/li]
[li]Install the latest hotfix KB968409 Build 9.0.0.7423 02/23/2009 for SP2 (it should include both earlier 948528 & 952548); the simple install instructions specify where the 4 updated files are to be placed ([/li]
[li]Install the SP2 help file (dv_foxhelp.chm) from VFPx[/li]
[li]Browse VFPx for any additional projects you want to download[/li]
[/ul]
Feel free to post what else I may have missed.

If you do a fresh install you most probably will have problems with Task Pane. It needs MSXML3 or 4, anyway XMLAdapter needs MSXML4 and XMLTOCursor needs MSXML3 and both will not be installed by setup as it finds even newer versions of MSXML in Vista or Win7, maybe even XP with SPs.

One of the MSXML is included with the Soap Toolkit you need to install seperately anyway. So you should do that. It doesn't hurt to install both MSXML3 and 4 SDKs to have the latest Service Pack level of these components too.

There also was a fix in regard to a gdiplus.dll security hole, that should be included in VFP9 SP2, but you might check that out, too.

Also dbi gives a few free ActiveX controls for VFP developers that you can install, if VFP is updated to SP2, look out for Sedna in general, it's partly moved into the VFPX project, but it's what was done towards a VFP10 and you might not want to miss some of it.

Bye, Olaf.

My production box is still an XP and soon I plan to upgrade to win 7. I like to install OS and applications from scratch and one thing was holding me back from doing the upgrade. Do you remember if I could install VFP9 with SP1, and keep away from SP2 with a new install. Probably I can but if I would need to go SP2 then I prefer never to upgrade OS.

Cetin Basoz
MS Foxpro MVP, MCP

I didn't say SP2 have bug (though heard many times about problems users having).
I just have too many customers with SP1. I don't want to take burden of upgrading them too when I send a new update. I don't have a VFP bug fixed in SP2 that is worth to take the effort. There are bugs which continues to exist in SP2 and maybe I would upgrade if SP3 ever comes out (I have at least one virtual machine to try it out if I don't ask someone else to confirm if it still occurs in SP2 or not).

Cetin Basoz
MS Foxpro MVP, MCP

OK, then you'll be fine. If none of the bugs are adressed by one of the three hotfixes after SP2 you'll not gain by moving towards it, but I think most of the VFPX codeplex project(S) are created and tested on SP2. Most of this will also work on SP1, as most SP1 error free apps will also run with SP2, but I see there is an overhead of replacing runtimes and the effects this may have on other VFP applications.

Bye, Olaf.

I searched for MSXML and these are the latest versions out there. MS still has several intermediate versions available for download, but as of today these are the latest releases. The first two are no longer supported. I believe MSXML 4.0 SP3 would handle everything VFP needs from MSXML? (In my work I'm using only 4.0 SP2.) Or since that will eventually be outdated as well, can we just skip over to MSXML 6.0 SP2 or later? I ask because some downloads also have accompanying text or HTML files detailing changed behaviors.

MSXML 3.0 Service Pack 7 (08/11/2005) Version 1.0 Lifecycle ended
Note: Distributing this Sp7 requires merging 3 msm files; reboot after install; no rollback.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (11/23/2009) KB973688 Version 4.20.9876.0 Lifecycle ended 4/13/2010

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (11/23/2009) KB973685 Version 4.30.2107.0

MSXML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (11/23/2009) KB973686 Version 6.20.2003.0

No, MSXML$ is not sufficient, like said XMLTOCURSOR uses MSXML3 classes and XMLAdapter uses MSXML4 classes. And while MSXML6 might have all the functionality needed in regard to XML, the foxpro runtime explicitly instanciates specific versions.

You can simply try out to use XMLTOCURSOR with no MSXML3 installed and see yourself. You can simply try ToCursor() of the XMLAdaapter without MSXML4 installed and see yourself.

Bye, Olaf.

I found this at
SP2 INSTALLATION NOTE:
The only way to ensure a correct install of VFP 9 SP2 is to uninstall VFP 9, reinstall it, then immediately install SP2. This is necessary because any changed files (from a virgin install) will not be replaced. For instance, this applies to FFC files. If you put them in your project and recompile all, their dates will change and they will not be updated. The aforementioned install process will ensure they are updated. Russell Campbell

Thanks dbMark,

but if you nowadays install VFP9 and SP2 right at once, you won't have the case of FFC files having a newer date than files coming with SP2.

So on a new machine without any VFP you can install VFP9, then SP2 directly afterwards, no need to install, uninstall, reinstall and then update.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back