Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my Ukiah firewall is interfering with SMTP. any ideas? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 20, 1999
US
cannot send smtp mail to several sites.<br>
SMTP server sits behind ukiah firewall. Most SMTP mail works fine. We have collected about 8 sites that we cannot successfully send email to. Taken sniffer traces both behind and in front of FW. Works in front of but not behind FW. Have tested another FW, seems to work fine. (Testing is Telnetting on port 25) Can connect, but get differeing replies from remote SMTP server dependant on position in front of or behind FW.<br>
<br>
further troublshooting indicates that FW is doing an initial HELO negotiation with remote SMTP server. Groupwise SMTP then tries to go through a programmed conversation, but the remote site will not allow a second helo and returns an error (have confirmed this through dialup connection) and the Groupwise server fails. Remote servers that allow more than one HELO in a conversation seem to work fine. How can we disable the firewall from doing anything other than passing SMTP conversation through (no negotiation on behalf of my protected SMTP server)?<br>

Dont forget why the firewall is there.. as for me... i cannnot (with three n's) telnet p25 to any external machine. <br>
<br>
firewalls are there to prevent any external machines sending info to your machine directly. <br>
<br>
Depending on the version type, depends on the response. For example an AIX 4.1... will not ask for a HELO command, whereas the AIX 4.2... will ask... <br>
<br>
try downgrading the sendmail program on the other end to a LOWER version. This is possibly the only solution i can offer... <br>
<br>
Karl.<br>
<br>
If you would like, send me the mail address, and i will see if i can se any other way??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back