Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My tower wont power on, (need a jumpstart?!) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Ok, This is new!!?? My Tower wont start up, and I mean nothing. AC power has been checked, and all is good. When I press the power button on my tower, nothing. I opened the case and smelt no smoke or previous burning smell.

I was keeping my PC on for several days at a time. It was on, I came back 10 hours later and found it liuke this. I suppose it is power related.

What should be my next step here in figuring what is wrong with my tower? Is it my power supply box? Any ideas would help!

regards

You could tear the PS out and open it up and see if there is a blown fuse. That is the only component that will blow out without an odor.
And if it is blown the PS is probably bad. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ok cool its already in pieces, no what kinda fuse you talkin about? Where and what would this look like/ ? Its obviously not a fuse like my analog amps and stuff...?

thanks

Usually a glass fuse , AGC size 1/4x2. Can be the smaller size 1/8x3/4. There are a couple I've seen with pica fuses, but not many. And there may not be one.
If it is , probably close to the power connector wires on the board. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I'd try another psu if poss :: or 1st disconnect every lead / pci card etc and re plug em make sure there secure then try a restart, sometimes that works with an atx board .

Ok well noted..if anyone has any other ideas please post 'em! thanks!!

Yes! be warned of potentially LETHAL electric shock! yes death! even the day after a power supply is unplugged it retains dangerous residual voltages/amps.
My guess would be to first swop out the power supply.
Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

I have to tried jumping the PS with a paperclip to see if it has power? I would try that first.

The first thing to do in this situation is to take your system down to its bare minimum;
CPU, Cooler, Graphics card, memory and hard drive (mouse, keyboard and PSU go without saying).

If possible, install alternative devices - the more you can replace the more likely is the chance of finding the problem.

What usually stops activity on your system is;

1. A failed power supply.
2. A Failed Add-on.
3. A fried CPU.
4. A fried motherboard.

Replacing a power supply will rule out that problem.
Taking out add-ons (and replacing the graphics card) will rule out that problem.

Be aware though, that when these problems occur mobo's can be wiped out, replaced and wiped out again if the cause of the problem is not found.

My experience is that it is rarely a failed PSU that causes these problems. More usually it is a CPU problem that first leads to an ADD-on failure (TV cards seem very prone to this problem). Subsequent attempts to restart the system inevitably lead to either CPU or mobo failure.

Hope the problem is not as severe as I suggest.

You can remove everyhthing as suggested by Win98User or you can unplug the power supply from the motherboard and all other components. If the power supply cooling fan fails to spin, guess what ? - This problem is very likely a failed power supply.
As I read these other replies, why would someone suggest uding paper clips to test for a faulty fuse, tampering with a 250, 300 watt, 110 volt AC power supply when Auidopimp doesn't even know what a fuse looks like.
By the way SpiriTek22 - have you every heard of a meter for checking electrical equipmemt?

I suggest the following:
1) Buy a new power supply - They're about $50 or
2) Take your computer to a trained technician that knows the difference between a fuse and a paper clip.

Resolving power issues with a PC isn't difficult if you know what you're looking for, but if you don't you can damaged good components or worse, damage yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back