Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My table alignment looks bad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag5t

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
I'm trying to fix the table that is the navigational link for our Intranet. However, FrontPage doesn't do what I tell it to (which I am finding out happens a lot of the time, why is that?) - and the table is a mess. The words don't line up, they don't center when I tell it to center them and the heights, widths, etc. aren't working right. Also, FrontPage won't let me use the side-to-side elevator bar to view stuff that goes off the right side of the page. I would appreciate any tips on how to fix the table. I also would like to know if anyone else is having as much difficulty as I am using FrontPage. All I did was highlight the boxes of the table and I got a message that says FrontPage has generated errors - now making error log. Sorry, but I don't understand what I did wrong? Thanks.
Marty

That's FrontPage for you! Try right clicking on the table and choose table properties. Select width 100%. I don't really understand everything you are seeing. Possibly start fresh with a new document. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

Problems i have had in the past were caused by cell sizes compared to table size. ie: if you have a table that is say 600px wide, with 5 cells, make sure that the cell widths all add up to 6oopx in total. I have also thrown things out when spliting a cell and had to go through the measurement process again. Same with the table height sometimes.

Hope it helps

Might actually be browser incompatability. When I was designing in Netscape Composer, tables didn't work in IE. When I worked in FP, the tables didn't work as well in Netscape. The solution above is good; I also had to add pixelshims (simple images colored like the background) to shore up the tables.

Linda Adams
Visit my web site for writing and Microsoft Word tips: Official web site for actor David Hedison:

Set your table dimensions using pixels. That way they wont change depending on the screen size.

Set the cell dimensions the same way.

If you table is 100px wide, make sure the cell is 100px.

A few tips:

Always rememember you have table settings and cell settings.

press CNTL/ (thats control and slash(/) to reveal tags...that will sometimes help you select a table better..it's hard sometimes to get a grip on those suckers.

Get into a plain page and play with tables inside of tables and play with and know the behavior of all POSITION settings.

Also play with getting gifs to blend nicely together side by side in cells without any white peeking.

The key is to get out of the production page and get into a "lab page" where you can watch the behavior of the tools you are using without being distracted by "Oi! Look what that did to the...."Oi! that just ruined my page."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back