Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My system produces multi-line invoices. The invoice value is a summary 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewbruno

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2000
GB
My system produces multi-line invoices. The invoice value is a summary field. Invoice values are currently batch entered into a separate accounts package (Sage for Windows). Is there any way of exporting this data? Summary fields do not appear in the export dialogue box.<br><br>Many thanks <br><br><br>Andrew Bruno

Not exactly. You can, however, create a cross-tab view of these summary values and then copy-paste it into 1-2-3 where you could export them easily.

Sue Sloan

Many thanks indeed for this tip. It has saved one of my colleagues an hour per week of tedious data entry !.

I'm an amateur programmer whose main job is sales director, but my Approach program has become an integral part of our business. There are only a few things that I can't get it to do (I will post some more requests as there propbably are ways).

The only other problem I have is with crashes and jams. We run a small network of 5 PCs, with processors ranging from P120 to P600. Frequently, a simple macro which purely changes from one layout to another, with no calcualations, can take minutes to execute.

Thanks again for solving my problem. [sig][/sig]

Crashes and jams should not occur with Approach, unless you have an environmental problem on your PCs or network. Here are some things to do/check:

1) Check each workstation for the presence of files with a .tmp extension -- in Windows these are usually in the c:\windows\temp folder. Delete them all! (make this a regular thing to do like once a week at a minimum)

2) Make sure each workstation has at least 100MB of hard disk space free and defragmented on the drive where Windows is installed.

3) Make sure each workstation has not set up any automatic processes, like scandisk for example, to run during the workday. Also disable any crash protection programs as they are not really useful with Approach - they can actually slow things down by intercepting registry calls!

4) Make sure all workstations are synchronized as to date and time with the server where the databases are stored. Reboot these computers, or at least re-login daily to re-synch the clocks.

On the network side of things, I can only recommend you have a dedicated server for the databases and a fast network (100kbps) really helps. Two network cards in the server can also minimize bottlenecks at the server.

Sue Sloan [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back