Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My shortcut to the desktop icon is missing, how do i get it back on my 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

farley99

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
My shortcut to the desktop icon is missing, how do i get it back on my task bar?

I have to minimize like 20 windows to get to the desktop because that icon is gone, got any tips?

For an easy fix just copy it from another computer.
OR
Make a notepad file with this text in it:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Then Save as file Type All Files with a file name of "Show Sesktop.scf"

JR

Some added info. Make the file and name it with the .scf extention. You can put this anywhere you want and then drag it to the quick launch bar and it will make a shortcut on the quicklaunch bar but it won't actually be there so if the file gets moved then you will need to create a new shortcut. The best thing to do is put that file in the quick launch directory which should be something like this:

c:\documents and settings\"username"\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch

where the user name goes in place of the "username", make sure to take out the "'s when you replace it. That will put the .scf file you created right on the quick launch bar and there will be no shortcuts involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back