Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My SCSI tape drive works perfect w/taper but I cant find the directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamrau

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
Hi,
I backup my files using taper and everything works. I have a scsi tape drive hooked up to an adaptec 2940 scsi card. I cant seem to find the tape drive though when browsing directories. I dont know what directory it would be in. I have samba running also. Say from my client i open up network neighborhood and i begin browsing my server. SHouldnt I be able to drag and drop files from my client straight into my tape drive. I assume the answer is yes, but I have no idea what directory the tape drive is in. Its kind of like the same idea of mounting a cdrom. I can mount the cdrom and then use the servers cdrom from my win2k client.

Does this make sense???

Thanks for your time
Adam

Hi,

Tape drives are not mounted in linux. They are directly accessed by the software via the device file in a similar way to audio CDs. The console command to talk to a tape drive is 'mt' - for example :

mt -f /dev/nst0 status

(or maybe /dev/st0 - look at /etc/sysconfig/tape )

See 'man mt'

As to dragging and dropping... I don't think so somehow - unless someone else knows better..

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back