Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My scheduled backups not working???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssshaker

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2000
AU
Hi all.... I hope someone has a simple fix for this one.
I am running 2 systems both with XP Pro and have configured both to backup automatically every day at a specific time. If I manually backup all works fine but the auto won't start. If I go to Control Panel/Schedules, the job is listed there on both machines but come 4pm, I watch and nothing happens :-(
Is there a switch I have to throw to allow schedules to start automatically?
Thanks for any help.........

found this here;
Here at MS
------------------------
You must have the Task Scheduler service running before you can schedule a backup. To do this, open the command prompt window and type net start schedule. You can also use Services in Computer Management to start, stop, and view the status of services.
---------------------------

thought this is for HOME...it may be the issue - yet I've heard it spoke of before, and the cause being Admin rights or needing Automated Backup Utility installed or something

more choices;
HERE involving Home Networks and Backups

hth

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Have a look too at the Schedlgu.txt in the Windows folder for the reason you are failing.

No Backup
thread779-813466

One of my clients uses NTBackup to
thread779-700410

264604 - Scheduled Backup Jobs May Not Run As Expected

311866 - Scheduled Backup May Not Run Under Backup Operator Credentials

Thanks for the replies ppl.
I did run the "net start schedule" then configured a backup to start in 5 min and used a password (which I hadn't been doing before)and waited.... and waited but still no go :-(
Should I maybe reboot after configuring the backup?? though I can't see why.
Will have a look at he logs and come back
Thanks again

I am having a similar issue in that nothing runs as scheduled. Once I was able to make it run after restarting the scheduler via the control panel, but I am unable to replicate the test. After researching the problem it appears to be related to the latest security patch (KB841873) that fixes a potential problem with the scheduler. It definitly fixes the problem because you can no longer run the scheduler. If you uninstall the patch it should work. If I find a work around I will post it here.

Mike

Hi all...thanks for all the replies especially SMAH and Linney. I have found that I have to use a password to log in to Windows with my profile and use the same p/w to configure the auto backup in schedule. Tried that and it works perfectly every time.
Thnaks very much again all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back