Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my router isn't allowing my computer access to internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

domino1879

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
I have a cable modem running through a D-Link DI-604 router to my computer and my xbox, and suddenly today I'm not able to bring up websites on my computer. I called the cable company, yada yada we went through all the procedures and narrowed the problem down to my router.

For instance, if i type up yahoo, it will have the 'page not found'. if i keep clicking refresh it will come up sooner or later, but if i were to click on a link the same thing would happen. (if i hook the wire directly from the modem to the computer it works fine).

I've looked through the router's settings and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. What could be causing this problem, and is there any way i can fix it?

any help would be greatly appreciated. running winxp media center SP2 if that helps.

yeah. i powered down everything, then after ten minutes i rebooted the modem, then the router, then the computer. i've done everything i can think of. i've even tested the cat5 cables individually to make sure they're good. the only time i have the problem is when my computer is hooked up through the router.

Did you do a hard reset on the router? (unplug router -> hold down hidden reset button -> plug router in -> continue to hold router reset button in for 5 more seconds.)

Also it's possible your cable connection is dropping packets (did the cable company check for that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back