Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My router does not aid in sharing my DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnehrlich

Technical User
Sep 7, 2002
US
I have been trying to setup a network that will share my DSL. My DSL connection is PPPoE. I have a DSL modem, a router with a WAN port for the modem and four LAN ports for my computers. The computers I want to connect are two win 9x and one XP. I have all of my computers connected connected to the LAN ports and the modem connected to the the WAN just as I was instructed by the directions that came with the router. When I try to connect withthis method, it does not work. However, I can get online connection any of the computers directly to the modem. My router works fine for LAN purposes, but none will acces the modem. I am almost certain that it is a setting problem, and when I contacted my ISP, they offered to give advice if I paid an extra $9.95 per month. I would like to avoid paying extra for a problem that can be solved by friendly advice.

Thanks for any help

what kind of router are you using? i just finished helping my friend setup a similar network using a linksys router. All i had to do was set up the router as a dhcp server, and each of the clients "obtain ip automatically." hopefully this helps.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back