Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My router displays garbage..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soha

Instructor
Feb 18, 2003
EG
My 1700-series router displays garbage as soon as it switches on: no router mode, no rommon mode, nothing, just garbage [bugeyed]. I tried, as I read in an answer to such question in tik-teps, to press ctrl-break as soon as it is switched on, but no success [thumbsdown].
I also checked the Hyperterminal session settings, they were alright.

Any suggestion? [pipe]
thanks in advance.

maybe the console Port speed is not set to 9600 on your router, i'm not realy sure, but there is a possibility to reset is to default ( which is 9600 ) maybe using a jumper on the board ...

Try to find something like this in your users guide ...

jaki

Hi

Your Hyperterminal session is set up to match the defaults on the router, but the console may not be at default.
Try varying the speed of your hyperterminal settings. That way you don't have to open your router case.

EB

Thanks for your concern, but...
I actually connected another working router to the same console, and it worked well.
Also, I have changed the console cable; but nothing changed.

When I say that your console may not be at default I may not have made myself clear.
The console port on the router has a default configuration of 9600 bits per second, no parity, one stop bit, no flow control. These are the settings you have given your hyperterminal, and the hyperterminal works with another router. This is because the settings in that router match those in the hyperterminal.
Soha

It is possible that the settings in the router that does not work are not at these same values. This particularly happens when someon has increased the data rate of the console port, perhaps to do an IOS load using Xmodem.

So as a step towards fixing your problem I would try selecting different data rates on the hyperterminal session, to see if it is possible to match the data rates of the console ports and the hyperterminal.

By the same token it is possible to change the settings for parity and stop bits on the hyperterminal session to test if these are no longer at default values.

EB

Now I understand. Ok, I'll try your solution. Thank you very much for your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back