Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MY RIMM (RAMBUS) PC800 RAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudassar

Programmer
Oct 3, 2000
AU
This is a question regarding RAMBUS... RIMM PC800 (or RDRAM)

Believe it or not my Dell computer has 1X 128MB Chip and 1X 0MB blank Clip

OR in other words:
Slot 1 = 128MB PC800 RIMM
Slot 2 = 0MB PC800 RIMM (Just a stick with no chips)

Everybody keeps telling me that you HAVE to have the ram in Pairs. They said that it is actually 2X 64MB... But I opened my computer and I found 1X 128MB and 1X 0MB Blank Stick. BIOS agrees with me too.

But that doesn't matter me too much. I just wanted to know can I have a 128MB stick in 1 slot and 256MB stick in the other? So they total up around 384MB.... or do they HAVE to be in PAIRS?
E.g. 2X 128MB and 2X 256MB?????

I keep getting different results from many PC stores. I'm very confused... An expert advice would be really helpful.

Cheers!

My Computer is a DELL Dimension XPS B800

-----------------
MK

Hope this helps!

What's the RIMM model number of your memory (i.e. RIMM4200)?

According to Intel, they need to be installed in pairs with matching speeds and size:

Perhaps your Dell system is using some sort of proprietary method. In that case, you'll want to consult the manual or call Dell. They'd be "more than happy" to upsell an upgrade and tell you how...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Yes I think my system is using some special kind of proprietary method. I'm going to add a 256MB with a 128MB... see how that goes. If it doesn't work then i'll either use the 256MB alone (using that empty stick) or buy another 256MB.

I would like to test it out and see if it would actually end up working with 128 + 256 combo.

I have contacted Dell about this matter and they said they would call me back, and this was last week and I still have no reply.

As for the Model, all it says "RIMM(800,ECC)". Is that it?

I'll let you know how the RAM mixing goes. -----------------
MK

Hope this helps!

Yes, you can add a different size rimm in the second slot as long as they are the same speed. Size doen't matter. Rimms must have both slots populated in order to work and the c-rimm in slot two makes the second one populated. It just fills the second slot and allows continuity for the memory bank. Hang on to the c-rimm they are hard to come by sometimes and will be necessary if you should decide to take one stick out at some point.

I have a Dell computer and I have 2x64MB and a 128MB chip and I have no problem. iibboo is right as long as they are of the same speed.

Thanks ibboo and oddessy, that gives me more confidence to put in the 256MB in along with the 128MB without any worry of it might blowing up or somthing. :)

I will have the RAM by today. (geez they cost hell of alot more then any other ram)

I'll let you know how it goes! -----------------
MK

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back