Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my putty session seems to die too quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

keak

Programmer
Sep 12, 2005
CA
Hi there,
I have a debian server where I have my ssh running. I am connecting to this server from my work via putty, but I noticed that even before I close the session, my putty gives me a disconnected message.

When I am on a remote desktop on another server and try to use putty there to connect to this server, the session dies even quicker.

Is there a config line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config that determins this value? Or is this a local/client issue I have on both of the machines?

When I reconnect to ssh, I can hop right back in, so I don't think that my ssh server is actually down the time i'm kicked out

any help or ideas on this will be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,
The keep alive time is turned on.

Code:
# Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing yes

X11Forwarding no
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog yes
KeepAlive yes
#UseLogin no

#MaxStartups 10:30:60
#Banner /etc/issue.net

Subsystem       sftp    /usr/lib/sftp-server

UsePAM yes

also, in putty, I discovered that under the connection segment, you can check the checkbox that says:
Enable TCP keepalives

However, I am still seem to get disconnected in putty after a couple minutes of inactivity ....

Was wondering if anyone had similar issue.

Thanks!

TCP Keepalives are sometimes a big problem when behind NAT or 'lazy' or load balanced routing. In fact TCP keepalives really don't do much for you if you are dealing with idle timeouts which this sounds like.

See,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back