Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Prolaint ml370 keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonBerg

MIS
Aug 14, 2003
US
Yesterday I was downloading Windows Critical Updates on my Windows server 2000 to avoid the Blaster virus when the machine unexpectedly rebooted, then it ran a chdisk, and rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, you get the picture. I tried Safe Mode and all of the choices didn't work. I talked to Compaq and after two hours of trying to boot from an install cd and floppies and replacing the Smart array 5300 Controller driver, to no avail, he said it this problem was caused by the update and is a Microsoft problem. Any suggestions?? Feel free to call my office number.

Server info. Compaq Proliant ml370 First Gen., w/Smart Array 5300 Controler, three hard drives in RAID 5 setup. Running Windows Server 2000.

Jason D. Berg
Tech Coordinator
Killdeer Public School
e-mail jason.d.berg@sendit.nodak.edu
office 701-764-5436
school 701-764-5877
fax 701-764-5648

Hi Jason

Just a thought...
A couple of our guys got the Blaster virus and said the symptom was their PC\laptop just kept rebooting. Microsoft have a scanner utility available to see if you are infected.
We had about 5 people get the Virus out of 200 Employee's.
From the hardware side of things I always suspect the memory for these sought of problems, maybe you can remove\swap a couple of chunks around to see if you get any inprovement.

Regards

David

Have a look on the sophos website, they have a resolve program which will get rid of the blaster/nachi virus. Then you will need to run the ms updates, dont run them all just yet only do the blaster virus one.
After that is installed you should be able to continue to load the rest of the updates, then look at an uptodate virus scanner.

jk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back