Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My PnP cards hang boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cervantes

MIS
Apr 1, 2003
CA
I've got an old Asus P2B board that I recently pulled out of mothballs to turn into a server. Whenever I plug any kind of PnP card in, it hangs on reboot. If I put a PCI card in, it hangs at "initializing PnP cards", if I put an ISA card in, it detects it but then hangs afterwards. If I remove them it boots fine. I have it set to "PnP OS = No", I didn't see anything else in there that would lend itself to PnP cards. I don't want to scrap it, because it's the best I've got right now, but I do need to put a sound card in it for one of the purposes it's serving.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

(oh, and I can't flash the bios because the floppy drive connector got nuked in an unfortunate accident a few years back... it's a long story.)

Try plug and play "yes"
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Please check how the IRQ handling of the "PNP - PCI" section of BIOS is set. I can't from the top of my head remember all the reserved IRQ numbers and their specific assignment but IRQ's 9 , 10 and 11 should usually be free for PNP .
You might try to load BIOS default values first . If then the the IRQ numbers 9 , 10 and 11 is not "plug and play" (YES) then make them so yourself . If this fails too try making all all IRQ's PNP .
And yes! put the OS=PNP back on.....

Regards

Some BIOS' have a Reset ESCD option. You may want to set that to yes or enabled so that any old configuration data is cleared.

Are you running at 100 or 133 FSB? I understand that 133 causes problems with ISA cards, and forget using an AGP. The P2B doesn't have a 1/2 divider, it has a 2/3s. A google search should give you the jumper settings for FSB on the mobo if you no longer have the manual.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Sounds like a good start to try. Thanks, all!
I vaguely seem to recall some BIOS tweaking the last time that board was up that may have indeed reset some or all IRQ reservations. I'll try a full reset tonite... and I'll be mighty annoyed at my own stupidity if that's all that was wrong!

:)

I used to run that board myself ,
If i remember correctly i always always had PnP OS = yes , running w98 on it .
Worked like a charm for me ,no probs( had it a very long time ).

syar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back