Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my pc starts automaticaly after shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbnetskywalker

Programmer
Jul 26, 2008
SY
my pc starts automaticaly after about 10 minutes from shutting down

seems to me as a (Power Supply) problem ....(is it so ..???)

what to do (besides of replacing the old powersupply by a new one) ?????

thanks already
vbnetskywalker

Look at the various "Wake On ...." events your computer is capable of, things like incoming network connections come to mind.

I just built a new system for mysel
thread779-738769

Computer restarts after shutdown
thread779-998912

Win XP.. Possible to wake on network connection???
thread779-1345731

wake up on lan with vista.
thread1583-1476090

besides what Linney suggested, take also a look into the BIOS setup there are wake up events there aswell, just disable them...

but another question, is the PC totally powered down when this happens, or is it just getting to the point of being powered down and then restarting? as this could indicate a hardware problem or OS problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

vbnetskywalker

I have the same issue, only it's highly unpredictable. Sometimes it restarts immediately after shutdown, sometimes it waits a while, sometimes unplugging a USB cable will do it.

I've been through my BIOS with a fine-tooth comb and disabled anything with even a remote resemblance to a wake-on function, no luck.

So now, when I shut down , I turn the PSU's external switch to OFF. Problem solved. This PC is too new to start replacing stuff, although I did replace the PSU for testing, still it persisted. I am almost positive it is a fault in the motherboard.

Just out of curiosity, what's the make & model of your motherboard?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony, I'd be looking at any Warranty available for the computer or the components if it is self built.

Call me old fashioned but when I shutdown, for any length of time, I always pull the plug out of the wall socket.

Call me old fashioned but when I shutdown, for any length of time, I always pull the plug out of the wall socket.

Me too.

But I did have this problem with the last but one self build if it was left plugged in.
It had Wake on Ring set by default in the BIOS. and as I was still on dialup at that time, the computer was starting up everytime the telephone rang!

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

sggaunt said:
[T]he computer was starting up everytime the telephone rang!
[rofl]

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I'm so sorry for being late , but I realy had a lot of things to do...

I read every link you (and others)provided ,... they helped a lot .... thanks very much.

for me (device manager) settings didn't work
but bios settings works

thanks for every one shared me my problem

Glad you got it solved... and thnx for posting back...

good computing to ya...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back