Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My pc is having random crashes and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YIMMER

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
CA
My pc is having random crashes and reports a device driver error . When I check the device manager all seems fine is there a software or some tool to try and track where the error is coming from
Thanks Yimmer

Try..
Start\run\eventvwr.msc /s
and scroll down to the last time your computer crashed and it should tell you what device/driver caused the crash?
Does this happen at any particular time(lstening to music/playing games/on the net)?Have you made any changes(Softwar,Hardware)?
david

Hi crwpulsar,

I've got a similar problem, the PC just keeps locking up whenever i'm on the net. I followed your advise above and found that every time the pc freezes there are to warnings in the event manager. By the way i'm running xp. Just hoped you could explain these.

the first warning:

The COM+ Event System attempted to fire the EventObjectChange::ChangedSubscription event but received a bad return code. HRESULT was 80040201.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
the second warning:

The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8007041F.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
thanks for your help, sorry i know i should start a new thread, but thought it might be worth a try to get some ideas.

Sorry Craigey,
Wish I knew more about Windows error codes but what i could find out is that COM+ calls the process svchost.exe but you should just have warnings in your event viewer.When the event viewer opened up, Was there no errors in the system log at all???There should be 3 different tabs on the left(Application/security/System)
The reason is my system(Win2k) has the same warnings in the event viewer but whenever it crashes or hangs its usually a problem in the system log.
David

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I think i've figured out my problem. The m'board is dying, well the highpoint raid controller is at least. I installed win 2k and got the same thing happening, (random crashes when using the internet). I checked the eventviewer and found errors saying the raid controller didn't respond within the timeout period. And just recently, even if I shut the machine down normally I have to rebuild my mirror raid array as the controller reports that it wasn't initialized last time. I can't remember the exact message, but it was something like that. Luckily I haven't lost any data, but have decided to buy another m'board with raid and see if that solves the problem. I will of course be doing a fresh install of win xp. I'll post back if i have any other probs.

I was looking back through the forum (I just joined) and found this. I am running WIN-ME. I tried to run eventvwr to look at what has been happening and the program was not found. I tried to search for the program - no luck. Is it part of ME? If not, is there something like it for ME? Thanks, Vince Radice

No, it's not part of Me and I don't believe there's any equivalent capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back