Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My own Ms-Dos in Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniare

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
US

Hi um, I haven't been here in so long....<laugh>.
Well I want to make a MS-Dos version for Shockwave, well it won't actually do what the real MS-Dos does, but I want it to be similar to that. I want it to be something like this:

action>_

The you can type into what you want it to do like:

action>search database_

And then the movie will display a message that it is searching a secrete database, and after a couple of seconds displays a numerous amount of info I've made up. for instance you have typed search database and then the info comes up, and it looks like this :

action>search database_

Data Has Been Searched and has found the following:
March 14, 1986...
My arm has been killing me. I don't know what it, but my doctor says it shouldn't be anything to worry about. So I guess I'll be okay.

You get the idea right.
So does anybody know how I can do this?

Well basically your movie will consist of nothign but a single textbox. Set the background to black and the foreground to white. You will also need a seperate textbox in which to type commands. Make it the same colors and make it editable. Name the membernames of the two boxes something. Then Basically you just define actions, like the one you defined by adding a script to the 2nd textbox like this:

On keyUp me
if the key = RETURN then

cmd = 0

if member(&quot;text2&quot;).text = &quot;search database&quot; then
msg = &quot;my leg hurts, someone get me the advil&quot;
member(&quot;text1&quot;).text = member(&quot;text1&quot;).text & msg
cmd = 1
end if

--more definitions can go in here--

if cmd = 0 then
msg = &quot;unknown command&quot;
member(&quot;text1&quot;).text = member(&quot;text1&quot;).text & msg
end if

end

Thats basically what you would do. If you need more info just tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back