Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My overheating alarm keeps going off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad3329

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
Ok, I got back from a 2 week vacation and turned my computer on. Its a 500 mhz amd athlon. Anyway, it was on for a few minutes then the alarm went off. So i turned my computer off and opened up the case. I checked all the fans and there working, but im not sure about the heat sink coolers??? Then i checked my pc health status in the bios setup and it said my fans were turning a 0 rpms. I also checked my temperature and when the alarm went off it was like 140 degrees farenheight. When i waited until the computer cooled off for like an hour then turned it on again it went from 90 something to 121 degrees in 3 minutes so i turned it off.
If you have any suggestions or tips i would really appreciate them.
Thanks

You MUST establish if the fan/fans on the processor are turning when you switch the PC on!! leave the cover off and look!! 10 seconds won't do any harm.
Fans can seize up.
It or they may need replacing.
If it is not turning try to help it spin (obviously be careful) if it feels like it is trying to turn then it is seizing. Martin.

fans were turning a 0 rpms - might just give you a clue!!!

try the FANS man :) Avendeval Sedai
[sub]yavoor@yahoo.com[/sub]

Would anyone have tried to overclock the cpu while you were away? That would produce a large increase in temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back