Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My office runs an Access DB across

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieNC

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
GB
My office runs an Access DB across a peer-to-peer network. This DB consists of an Access file containing all the tables for the database, stored upon one workstation. All other workstations have a database containing the other DB components (queries, forms, macros etc) which are linked to the central tables file.

The problem I have is that, every so often, the database crashes and all workstations using it get the message:
"Unrecognised database format..." followed by the pathname of the Access tables file. I then need to shut down all versions of the database and run a "Compact and Repair" operation on the centralised tables file before the DB can be used again.

Not only is this extremely irritating, but we also seem to be losing recently created files on the DB when the comnpact and repair is run.

Can you please advise how best to remedy this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jamie

When Access changes data, a new record is created and the old data is deleted. This and other deleted information is not released back to the system, causing disk and memory to fill up.
Every now and then you should 'restore' the database to release this and make the database quicker in using updates and searches.

When you connect to the same database with multiple users, this database might fill up quicker than you wish. This might lead to data-corruption. It is better to have planned maintance on your database than have it collapse at a bad time.
You can do this by hand at a conveniant time, or use a timed event on a form. By using a timed event, the application with this form has to be open for it to work...

This will not guarantee the database from never failing you again, but it might help.

Nils Bevaart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back