Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My new AMD Athlon 64 3000+ laptop shows up with 384 MHZ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuaveRick

Programmer
Apr 12, 2004
CA
I have a new Compaq 3440ca with the 64 bit amd athlon 3000+. Why in system info under the my computer properties does it only say I have a 384 MHZ cpu? The computer is still fast, just wondering if windows doesn't read the AMD chips correctly. I checked display models like mine too and they all say the same thing so it's not just mine.

Thoughts?

Maybe you are confusing the ram with the cpu.
sounds like 384 mb of ram, not the cpu.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Probably as garebo stated.

512meg RAM - 128meg for integrated video = 384meg

Yes, hes only got his ram and cpu mixed up.

Sorry guys, not the RAM. I have a 64 meg dedicated card in there. 512 megs ram for the OS which is windows XP home + SP2. I can't rememer the CPU speed it says exactly, somewhere around the 300 MHZ mark... I'll have to check when I get home from work, I don't have it with me rightn ow.

Thanks.

Without installing anything, just go to Start -> Run, type dxdiag and hit OK.

Another quick check is during bootup, enter your BIOS. Sometimes you'll see what key you have to hit listed on your screen, but if not, it's usually F1, F2, DEL, ESC, or SPACEBAR.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

This is a Windows issue. Your system sees the full potential of the processor, but Windows does not display the speed correctly. This should be address later in a non-critical update.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Another thing you could do is to find a program that will measure speed of your computer as opposed to other computers, that way you will know that your full speed is being utilized and if so then it doesnt really matter what windows shows, long as the performance is there to match the cpu.
I just cant think of the prog name at the moment, but someone else will.

So I checked into this. I ran Everest Home Ed and at first it said it was only 800 MHZ, then I ran it about 2 minutes later and it said it was a 1600 MHZ cpu. So I checked the BIOS and it said it was 1800 MHZ. It's got the power now! AMD feature so I'm guessing it uses that to change the speed as needed and I just confirmed that from Freestone's link from above because I looked and I have this installed from the factory:

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.18 - AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need.

Thanks for all the info, that makes sense now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back