Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Network Places slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkangrydragon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2002
US
Hi All!

We have a Windows 2003 server running the File Server service. We've setup several shares and have about 10 Windows 2000 clients connecting to the server. We are setup as a domain and are running DNS.

When a client navigates to a share via the "My Network Places", directory listing is incredibly slow, and it gets slower the deeper you go into the directory structure.

If however, you open a new explorer window and type "\\<SERVER>\\<SHARE>" into the address bar and then navigate that way, everything works very fast (as it should be!).

I've also tested this with our one Windows XP client and get the same behavior.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Thanks!

-Andrew

AFAIK, with My Network Places, the directory builds the list each time, now if there are several hundred, or even thousand objects to be listed then it gets slow, whereas the UNC option works a treat. Also, there are elections held between machines, if I remember rightly, to see who is the master browser. this could take time if there are several dc's and rdp sessions going on etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back