Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my network card (3C509B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 7, 2000
US
Hi,<br><br>I am new to Linux. <br><br>I&nbsp;&nbsp;installed RedHat6.0 in my machine yesterday. Since then I have been trying to get into the internet using LAN gateway. I am using 3C509B, 3com NIC but I can see that the nic is not activated as there is no light in my NIC. <br><br>Can anybody help me?<br><br>My email: <A HREF="mailto:kkayastha@mum.edu">kkayastha@mum.edu</A><br><br>Thanx in advance for help.

The problem&nbsp;&nbsp;sounds like hardware.&nbsp;&nbsp;Activity occurs on the nic even with no operating system installed.&nbsp;&nbsp;There will not be any communication of course, but there shoul be a light.

You have to use the 3c509.o module to run this card.&nbsp;&nbsp;you can set it up in linuxconf under in the networking area.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, this card is Plug and Play by default.&nbsp;&nbsp;3COM has a DOS based tool that allows you to configure the settings of their cards prior to use in a linux system. <br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br><br>Hope this helps,<br>Bill

If it's an 10/100Mbit auto-sensing card make sure you use the 3c509cfg DOS utility to force it into 10Mbit and see if that works.

You must disable plug and play by running the DOS configuration program on the 509B.&nbsp;&nbsp;You must also specify the media in the same configuration program (i.e. BNC or RJ45) the default of Auto does not work. <p>Keith Attfield<br><a href=mailto:keith@oldcottage.co.uk>keith@oldcottage.co.uk</a><br><a href= Personal Web Development Space</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back