Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My modem has disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPlank

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
GB
I'm using an Advent 7039 laptop. It has an Intel (something or other) modem installed internally. I have never successfully managed to make it connect to my ISP's dialup line.

I've called the number on the phone, and it sounds like a modem to me. However, I reported the problem in another forum on here and the advice was to uninstall and reinstall the modem. I've uninstalled it, but Windows can't find it to reinstall it. It doesn't appear on the list of items to install either. Using the 'Standard 56000' driver I only get an error 692, which says that the Modem is not working correctly.

I've looked in Device Manager, and I've noticed a problem with the PCI Simple Communications Controller. But Windows can't find the driver to reinstall this either.

Getting to the end of my tether. If any further information is required then please shout and I'll provide it.

XP Home
Intel 57EA(?) modem
Can't find a driver for this on DriverGuide.com either..

Cheers
Dave

"Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips"

Remove the modem.

Boot to safe mode, go to device manager, expand modems, and remove all there.

Shut down, reconnect modem.

Try to reinstall the drivers when Windows detects it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I've tried everything in your suggestion except physically removing the modem. As it's a laptop, I can't get into it to remove it.

The problem seems to lie with the PCI Simple Communications Controller. If I could reinstall that, (searches of threads on TT suggest) the modem driver will be reinstalled as well. However, although I've downloaded a number of files which people say has fixed it for them, the hardware wizard doesn't recognise the .inf file as "containing any information relevant to your hardware"

Thanks for the help Matt. Gonna keep trying though..

"Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips"

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

Sorry for the late reply, but yeah, it just sounds like you need the driver disk for that modem. Contact the vendor/manufacturer if you don't have it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back