Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my mobo currently has 256mb pc133 RAM, can i replace it with pc100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compnut24

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
US
the RAM i currently have in my system is bad. it just plain awful. anyway, i was going to send it back and get the store i bought it from to exchange it. I was thinking of having them give me pc100 instead. Earlier (in order to get windows 2000 to insall) i replaced my 256mb stick with an older 32mb pc100 stick, and everything worked without a hitch. I have a 1.0ghz tbird, 266fsb, and i heard that they like ddram better, so im thinking that it may work better with pc100. What do you think?

Did you check the BIOS to see if the memory was auto-detected correctly? If the memory truly "sucks" take it back and see if you can get your money back. Don't know why you'd want to go from PC133 to PC100. Order some good RAM from Crucial or Kingston. There are several quality memory vendors on the net.

jazzgirl

Hey compnut,
Jazzgirl like Crucial because it just breaks her wrist ;-) . Anyways if the mobo can have DDR i would pick DDR. DDR is, right now, as cheap as a 100/133 and you get twice as much speed than 100/133. And I am with jazz here as to why you're going from 133 to 100.

-Feryl

DDR Tbirds must use 133 ram. Your 1 gig runs @7.5x133. If you use pc100 ram you will only clock out at 750mhz. Get some good ram like kingston, spectek, nec or crucial. A good ideal when loading windose is using 128 for win98/me and 256 for w2k, after OS is loaded then you can add more ram.
rafales@alltel.net

Ma3X323, you know it! :)I got that RAM in just fine a few minutes ago. I didn't even break my wrists! Compnut24, I agree with the suggestion that if your board supports DDR, go for it. I wouldn't go back go PC100 though.

jazzgirl

Most of todays Motherboards will separate the RAM speed from the procesor. So PC100 RAM WILL slow the system down BUT the Processor will still run @ 1Gig. As everone else suggested if your board runs DDR buy it! James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

It depends on the BUS speed of the Processor. If its (Processor) Bus speed it 100 (ie.. PII500 is 100X5) then you need PC100 RAM. If the BUS speed is 133 (ie..PIII600EB is 133X4.5) Then you need PC133. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back