Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My impressions on a 4621IP .....feedback on IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefwong

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2006
US
I've been helping someone setup their network and just got a chance to play with a 4621SW phone . I've been considering a IPO and impressed with the flexibilty and features and managebility.

The network itself is all C6 wiring, going into a Cisco Layer 3 Gigabit switch vlaned and QOS. The 4621 as far as settings, I do not know what codec it was running but I believe they said G711 when I had asked last week. Telco was a PRI and there was NO users on the lan at all when I was using the system.

Anyhow, I do not know if it's the handset, or the voip-ip412 connection as opposed to digital to PBX connection. The Module has a VCM 8 EC module it it. It was running on 3.2 across the board with the latest firmware on the phones.

The volume on the handset was very low, and the sound quality was somewhat tinny.

In retrospect, for example, I use a Polycom 601 that is hosted via a provider that uses the Broadsoft switch and L3 as the backend provider. The phone connectes through the *net* and not through my transit provider. The voice/sound quality is easily 2-3X better than the 4621 I was monkeying around with today.

I definately do plan to bring my phone systems *in house* as opposed to hosted. Can anyone offer some more feedback on if it's just the 46xx series as opposed to digital 56xx series, or anything else that I should check out to give the IPO a fair comparisons. I will check tomorrow and see if it's running on G711 codec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back