Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my hardisk icon is not showing on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

arshzafar

MIS
Jun 16, 2009
IN
Hello,All

I am working on mac.my hardisk icon is not showing on desktop or not anywhere.please help.

Since your machine works, it's probably not a big problem.

First, while in finder go to the Finder menu and select Preferences. Make sure the Hard Disks is checked under "Show these items on desktop".

If that's not the problem, go to your Applications Folder and then Utilities. Open Disk Utility. Any drives will show up. Click on Macintosh HD and see if there's a Mount Button at the top of the window. If there is, click it.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

The link gave me a blank - no pictures

I assume you already checked finder prefs/general to show the disk. As a check, try putting a cd or dvd in the drive and see if it shows up on the desktop. You might try trashing Finder prefs (user/library/preferences/com.apple.finder) and see if that helps.

I also assume that you've restarted the machine.

Also, you don't have the screen zoomed do you? You should have some other things obscured if you're zoomed. Try holding control and scroll down to check if zoomed too much.

It's very weird to have the thing disappear, yet be working fine

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Could the icon have been moved to a subfolder?

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

The mount button may not show if the drive is already mounted. There is a difference between mounting and displaying a drive on the desktop.

That screen shot would be helpful.

Did you name it 'disk', the default name for unnamed disks?

Did you (or a malevolent fellow office monkey) name it with a leading period (.)? That would make it invisible to Finder.

Boot from your system DVD, start up the same Disk Utility, then run 'Verify Disk', then 'Repair Disk'.

If that doesn't help, I've had great results with Disk Warrior as recommended on this very forum!

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back