Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My gateway NV55C keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR R

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2016
US

Hello, I saw this thread751-1693562 and my situation seems to be the same.
I open the laptop and press the power button.
I see BIOS and if I try to go into BIOS or not it restarts within seconds.
Please help!

Thank you in advance!

Remove one memory stick if there are two. Test.
Swap the stick back and remove the other. Test.

Unplug AC adapter and pull out battery.
Hold power button down for 10 seconds. Then press it again multiple times over 20 seconds.
Put battery back in and plug in AC adapter. Test.

If that fails you may be down to removing processor heat sink, cleaning off the thermal compound, putting on new and re-seating processor.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

While you're at the motherboard, it wouldn't hurt to eyeball the capacitors and make sure none look obviously bulging, busted, or leaking.

goombawaho,
Why the part about "Then press it again multiple times over 20 seconds."?
I'm just curious. I realize the overall step is to clear out any remaining power from the power supply, but I never thought you'd need that much additional presses to clear it out.​

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Just to be sure. Overkill is better than underkill in this circumstance, so do it once and really do it and then you can move on in terms of troubleshooting.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back