Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My dummy-proof solution for mobile Aloha terminal for patio

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYler1215

Technical User
Mar 18, 2024
US
I am in the restaurant business, not the IT/networking businesss, but took it upon myself to come up with the most “dummy proof” solution for a “mobile” Aloha POS terminal with thermal printer for our patio. I am aware that there are iPad and tablet based solutions for Aloha POS but I have tried them both in a demo fashion and our Aloha dealer and I don’t like them. The dealer told me my mobile solution wouldn’t work but I was determined to make it work.

The idea being that the staff is able to disconnect the terminal and printer every night to bring it inside at night and then reconnect everything the next day.
And after 18 months I have no issues with the staff breaking or messing anything up (a miracle) so I thought I would share my setup and hear what y’all thought. It’s entirely possible someone else has already done something like this but still, the staff loves it so I thought I would share. My idea was to make it so simple even a non-tech savvy person could do it.

I
1. I attached the power supplies to both the terminal and the printer so that the staff wouldn’t have to turn the printer nor the terminal upside down and disconnect those finicky round power connectors.

2. I wired both the RJ45 port and RJ11 ports for network and serial printer connections on the back of the terminal on a surface mount so all they have to do is plug in two cables.

3. I used powerline adapters for the network connection since there was no cat5 cables run to the patio, and having it installed would be prohibitively expensive.

If anyone has any questions about how I did this, feel free to let me know.
IMG_7576_bicqai.jpg
IMG_7585_nf4nz6.jpg
IMG_7584_sp16sj.jpg
IMG_7580_efwpph.jpg
IMG_7583_gabf2g.jpg

Very smart idea. Labels are always very important. Amazing the clip on the network cable never broke. If you really want mobile order, get a Microsoft surface or other windows tablet. Set Access point to your Aloha network and you can do tableside ordering. Make a network printer to print checks

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
We answer when they don't
reddit : TheeAlohaRoss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back