Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Doucuments Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdwilly

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
CA
A freind reinstalled XP Pro ,Clean Install, he used Win backup and resored files with the same . Now My Docs & Jims' Files are denied.I am stumped,tryed everything I can think of and no go. Also some how he is set up as Limited user in users and I can't change the acount to Admin rights. Need some good hints.Kelly

Hey,

You may consider just creating a new administrator, and once done, copy the contents of your friend's Desktop and local settings to the new admin login...this is a long way to do things, but it should be possible, as long as you are able to log in as administrator

Good Luck,
Kevin

- "The truth hurts, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with no seat, but it hurts.

To change the account type, log on with the Administrator account (press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome Screen).

To get access to the old files, you will probably need to Take Ownership.

Your friend is better off using a limited user account for his day to day use of the computer (especially surfing the Internet) as this is the recommended setup and much more secure than running in an administrator account, because it makes it harder for "nasties" to do nasty things to your machine.

He should have a separate administrative account for the maintenance and installation side of things where the limited account does not have the necessary access.

He can then choose his logon depending on what he wants to do. He can also use the RunAs command to do administrative things while logged on as a limited user.

294676 - HOW TO: Enable and Use the "Run As" Command When Running Programs in Windows

"To start a program as an administrator" in the Help and Support program.

"Why you should not run your computer as an administrator" in the Help and Support program.

As mentioned "Taking Ownership" is your solution to his other problem.

Thanks to all who answered. It turned out to be a corrupted
instal . Fdisk and a new install made things work like OK.Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back