Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Documents Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzanewpy

Instructor
Oct 21, 2002
GB
I am still having issues and would like some assistance urgently.

When I create a folder and share it as the root share for documents EVERYONE has full control over the folder (something I do not want). When I create a user folder it inherits the security of the parent (therefore EVERYONE now has full control over the individual My Documents). GPO is set to Exclusive Rights but this does not seem to follow via security.

So, If I set STUDENTS to Read and Execute only will they be able to traverse the root share to get to their own folder?

If I remove the inherit flag from the root share will that disable the inheritance for all children?

Can I set it so some rights are inherited (Administrators for example) but not others?

Forget GPO for now that's for something else

first thing is to decide whether to have inheritance turned off or on (Having inheritance on prevents you from removing groups)

Basically it goes like this for personalising the security on a folder

turn off inheritance
a window warning messsage will appear so "copy" existing groups to the folder (will save you time later)
now edit the security groups as required ie adding and removing groups and configuring them personally.

To allow users to traverse folder just give them "list folder contents" permission only

subfolders will inherit the personalised security setting from the folder above it

repeat procedures on the sub folders where necessary

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back